ABERFORD WW1 WAR MEMORIAL
Aberford is a town 6 miles from Tadcaster and 8 from Leeds. Parlington part of Aberford was home to the Gascoignes who had a heavy influance onTadcaster and its surrounding villages in the past, indeed it was Gascoigne who paid for and unveiled the WW1 Memorial in Saxton village 3 miles to the east in the early 1920s. Most of the men remembered from the first world war enlisted in either Leeds or Garforth. The memorial itself is situated outside the village.
A local newspaper report of September 16th 1914 announced that 22 men from Aberford had responded to the countrys call;
A. Bishop - T. Clinton - J. Davidson - J. Davis - E. Durham - R. Heard - A. Inman - J. Inman - H. Kaygill - H. Kirkby - A. Lanthorpe W. Locke - J. Nollingaham - R. Nutton - G. Pike - A. Reeds - W. Rhodes - F. Richardson - C. Scott - F. Scott - C. Slyfield - F. Thorpe